15 February, 2011

Stradbroke Island {part 1}

ps. That's Syd surfing!

We love our annual trip to Straddie! Lucky for us the house was available 1 day early and 1 day later so we got to extend our stay a little longer...it didn't disappoint!
We packed our cars to the hilt {4 adults and 7 kids for 9 days without a major grocer and without a million bucks for the local restaurant = LOTS of food and treats!} and off we set for the ferry to take us to our paradise. A mere 40 minutes later we arrived on the island and set off to our destination. 10 minutes into the drive we had to pull over with sparks flying off the boat trailer...UGH! The borrowed trailer had major issues with the now non-existent bearings. We left the boys with it on the side of the road and piled our 7 kids and 2 adults into the little car. We waited for our boys until 9:30 that night!!! Unfortunately one of the problems was being on an island with needed parts from the mainland. They had to wait for the parts to be sent over on the ferry {Thank you Ron!} when all was said and done. We were extra glad to have had an extra day!
Most of our mornings were beach runs with the kids:

Finn (and all the kids actually) loved this dog! He seemed like he didn't belong to anybody but roamed as he wanted & when he wanted. He was a very cool dog and loved to chase a thrown stick! We even spotted him in the local "Stradbroke News" paper!
Surfer girl:
And another because I am so dang proud :)

One of the things I love about Adam is how interactive he is with the kiddos...they had to save him (perhaps from one of his awesome commando rolls? Hmmm.)


On top of sand hill:
Don't roll back dude! This was where Finn LOVED rolling down sideways, front ways, backwards, etc...he may or may not have been rolling naked a time or two as well.

Most of our afternoons were lazing around the house in the heat of the day and nap time for the little ones (and the adults!) And some of the evenings we spent walking along the beach or going for ice cream treats!
This is what happens when you get island fever.....HAHAHA!


More pics to come.....

3 comments:

Kinny said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA.....Commando Roll! Soooo funny!

Deborah said...

Can I just say how much I wish I was there right now? Well, that is - minus the swollen ankles, the backache, and the big belly... Can I climb in your suitcase next year??

Cathy Lloyd said...

Okay...I'm totally stalking you guys! LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics! I'll be back to look more when I have more time! (this is Helen's friend in South Jordan) :)