I know it has been forever since my last post, we have been busy and crazy and having days in between that I try and just spend with the girls! But I couldn't pass up the opportunity to wish everyone a happy Earth day! What a beautiful day to celebrate this amazing earth we live with. This year I have really been wanting the girls to understand the importance of HOW we live and how the earth can provide for us. The words "wasteful" and "useful" have crept into our daily vocab and I am proud to say the most important part of that is that they understand what it means to be wasteful, (We usually apply this to wasting water through the faucet, big baths, and food now days!) So i really wanted them to have a great day and have activities that would center their attention to the gifts we have been given. We spent the morning at the aquarium which is such a neat place tucked into an old skating rink building, and generally not too busy. They had a great time touching and experiencing the sting rays, sea stars, and sea cucumbers.
After a bit of quiet time and naps for two of us (me included!) we decided to plant some sunflowers the girls had picked out at the store earlier this week. It is such a beautiful moment to watch their small hands place seeds across the soil and smooth the dirt over as if they are laying the seeds to rest for a short while. We talked about the cycle of life, how the bees need the flowers for pollen to make honey and how the seeds are exactly what the birds want for breakfast! We also need the flowers to make us happy (who doesn't smile at a sunflower?) Sydney absolutely loves being outside and the weather seems to have no effect on her! Kirra on the other hand is a bit more like me...I guess we are more homebodies :)
And to finish off our fun day we made a habitat. Do you remember doing this in grade school? We all helped to paint the box, set up the animals, find treasures outside to add to the box. On the box top went with a hole for light and viola! An instant outdoor setting for the babes to take turns spying inside and yelling out the animals they discover. I love these moments!
22 April, 2008
Happy Earth Day!!!!
Posted by
Kacy & Adam
at
8:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I should have celebrated Earth day with you...that all sounded like so much FUN!!
what a fun day!!!! i totally remember those habitats and for some reason they remind me of crafting with you...i think maybe we made some together over the years! i love seeing those little hands in the dirt as well...it makes me smile.
What a cute mom you are! Good for you for getting your cute girls out and planting flowers. P.S. as a teacher, you get mega points for having your kids build a habitat and it not even being a school project!
Post a Comment