16 September, 2008

Shortbread tarts


I made these cute tarts for a friend's baby shower quite a while ago. They seem so summery and since summer is slowly on it's way out I thought I would post them before all the delicious fall baking begins. Mmmmmm, I love this time of year!

Shortbread Tarts
(original recipe from joyofbaking.com)
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease about 36 mini muffin tins.
Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, add vanilla. Once creamed add the flour, cornstarch and salt just until incorporated. Add a small amount of dought o muffin tin and push up the sides. Place in freezer for about 10 minutes (this helps dough from puffing). Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes or until lightly golden. Around 12 minutes check for puffing and prick with tines of a fork if needed. Allow to cool then pop out of tins for filling.

Mousse Filling
8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup whipping cream
rind of 1 lemon
up to 1/2 package of "instant white chocolate pudding" dry mix

Whip cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and rind. Slowly mix in whipping cream until all ingredients come together. Add dry pudding mix until the texture is light but still a tad bit firm (making filling and holding A LOT easier).

Fill a pastry bag with filling and pipe into cooled shortbread shells. Top with favorite fruit or berries. If you desire you can brush a small amount of watered-down apricot jam on top for that glistening look. Store in fridge until ready to use but beware the longer they sit the softer the shell becomes. Delish!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Yummy yummy!! You know how I love food and blogs, though!!