21 April, 2009

The whole island of Hawaii



We were able to drive around Hawaii yesterday to see the rest of the island. We feel pretty comfortable here in Kailua-Kona and love it, but wanted to expand ourselves to see the rest of the island. Unfortunately my battery died halfway through the island! And for some reason I have been seeing this very sneaky black dot creep into some of the photos as well. I can't believe we have already been here for a week and get on the plane tonight!
Black sand beach:



After a delicious breakfast at the Coffee Shack we headed out. There is a little area that has been recreated, known as the "City of Refuge". The lore states that there were certain rules or laws to abide by and if they were to be broken, the only way to spare your life was to swim across the bay to the city of refuge.


The Active Volcano:


This is just outside the "Thuston lava tube" where lava once flowed. It is a beautiful rainforest now!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

what beautiful pictures! You guys go so many amazing places! Your little guy is so dang cute! I love that big smile!

bebe said...

I'm guessing the volcano my boys are going on about is the one in the photos... Maybe Sid mentioned it to them! I have been trying to figure out what on earth they're talking about! I hope you're having the best time!!!

jessamyn said...

Hey Kace...
I am just catching up with blogs after...ummm...it's been a while.
But, your pictures are looking so beautiful! Great work!
Asher would think he had died and gone to heaven if he saw an active volcano. It is his dream. I only hope that I can take him there one day soon!
In the mean time, I think we are painting one on his wall!

Much love sweet friend.