Just this last week I needed to create something to donate for a service auction. I have been wanting to make these onesies since I saw them at michaelmillerfabrics.com. Initially I figured I would make one set but coulnd't stop since they are so cute! I completely forgot to get a photo of the baby girl's set which is sad since they turned out just as I wanted them! Needless to say, if I can do them, so can you!
Baby Onesie Applique Tutorial
Materials needed:
Freshly washed baby onseie or t-shirt
material of your choice (try Broadbents in American Fork, they have a huge selection)
thread
sewing machine or time to hand stitch
fusible webbing or Heat n' Bond Lite
Instructions:
1. Since I used the Heat n' Bond Lite, I preheat my iron to Silk. Find desired shape you wish to use on onesie.
2.Cut the shape from the heat n'bond and another from the fabric. I just did a rough cut for the first set and after I bond them together with the iron I recut to the EXACT shapes.
3. When you are ready to bond, lay a scrap piece of paper on the ironing board, next lay your fabric shape face down and then the heat and bond (smooth side up, rough side on fabric.) Iron for a few seconds or until it selas to the fabric.
4. Peel off paper backing and set in desired location on onesie.
5. Iron again for a good 10 seconds to bond the fabric to the onesie.
6. Yeah! Your halfway through!
7. Sew a zig-zag or straight stitch through both the fabric and the onesie. When using a straight stitch I left a bit of an edge for a cute fraying effect when it was washed again. I love the rustic/homemade feeling of these babies! The pallete is endless and once you get through the first one, they soar off the sewing machine!/strong>
26 March, 2008
My baby onesies!
Posted by
Kacy & Adam
at
10:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
these look like so much fun! i think i will have to give it a go!
I love these!! Good job :) I'm definately going to be making some of these as baby gifts. I better get started (I may need your help because even though you made it sound simple enough, I could mess it up!!)
I saw some totally cute ones - I have been thinking of making some and trying to sell them. Check them out here and tell me what you think! This lady makes one for every month - I'm totally doing this when I have kids!
Post a Comment