19 August, 2013

Box Canyon falls & Yankee Boy Basin

Since the rain had stopped we started the day by hiking up Box Canyon Falls.  Its such a short little walk but the sound of the falls is so loud in there! The water gushes past thousands of gallons a minute! We also did the steeper hike to to suspension bridge above the falls to get a beautiful view of Ouray and look at the falls from above.



 Through the mountain to get to the other side with another hike we opted not to do :)




Ouray also has this amazing Yankee Boy Basin.  We ended up spending most of the day there, just driving and hiking.  It was so amazingly beautiful, I couldn't get enough! We knew we wanted to see the double waterfalls and on our way saw another massive waterfall in the distance.  We managed to park our cars and hike up an old grown over road to the most spectacular waterfall! I'm so glad we had an adventurous bunch- even the babies were good hikers!

We had to drive through cut out bits of the mountain- It looked so freaky!

The double waterfalls:



And driving along this close to the edge makes my palms sweaty!





 Old mining buildings...such a mining influence here!

 Soooo freezing- Kirra was upset cause it was so cold.  Also noted that Kade lost his thongs in the current :(  I think we were all tired at this point but I was so grateful to have seen this! It was so amazing!


No comments: