I took the kids for a day out to St. Andrews again to catch the few sights we had previously missed, and guess what? We still didn't have timeto do everything! I really do enjoy this little town so much. It was also graduation for this years college students so we encountered quite A LOT of red gowns and fancy dresses. It was fun to see though! They were posing in front of the castle, on the rocks of the cathedral, etc...
We started out at the cathedral...it is massive! And gorgeous! The cathedral was started in 1160 but wasnt finished for 150 years. It is the biggest cathedral in Scotland and has survived fire, winter storms, and a forceful gale that blew a section of it down and was later rebuilt.
can you spy Kirra? This just shares the massive scale of this building!
There are quite a few gravestones about, including old Tom Morris and son Tommy Morris. If you are married to a golf enthusiast than you will know these names, trust me :) The girls also thought it was a great idea to climb the 157 steps to the top of the church tower that is also on the cathedral land. Yep, they were wiped out by stair 87 but continued on. Just as we reached the top, Sydney proclaimed she was "afraid of hikes" (yes, hikes) and needed to go back down so she could be safe on the ground. So this was the only picture I was able to get:
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, when we were in Scotland last summer I couldn't drive it gave me so much anxiety!! The streets were so crowded and little - not to mention the backwards streets. Even when I got home to Utah, I started doubting which side of the street I was suppose to be on!!
what a fun day!
Post a Comment