04 August, 2009

New York Trip, Kirtland Ohio


The last few days were spent with a 3 hour drive to Kirland, Ohio and a few more church sites. We drove straight to the Kirtland temple for a small tour of the building. It was a great experience and it peaked our interest for a lot of questions we thought of throughout the tour. Our guide was helpful but didn't know the answers to alot of them! It was still a neat building a actually much bigger than I had anticipated. We next headed over to the Kirtland church tour of a little village of buildings including the Ashery, Newel K. Whitney store, several houses, and a video with Joseph Smith and Newel K Whitney. I personally loved these sites more than the sacred Grove and Joseph Smith farm. It was so unique and I truly felt the love these people had for the gospel. I didn't get very many photos because I was too interested in the stories they told!

This is a picture of the "corn cob chess" inside the Whitney store.

It was also Sydney's birthday so we celebrated with some cake and a few presents at a place called "RJ's" later that night. It was nice to spend it with family and people she loves the most!

The next/last day we drove to the John Johnson farm and toured the house with an amazing woman. I truly enjoyed this tour the most and really felt the spirit in this little home. This was the house where Joseph was pulled from his bed at night and tarred and feathered, his child died from the same night being exposed to the cold, as well as the many revelations received pertaining to heaven.
After the tour we drove down to an Amish community and dined for a quick lunch and some sampling of amazing cookies. I was sad I didn't get any good pictures because the kids were so darn cute in their wagons and small carts. It was an awesome trip and spending so much time with my family is always a blast!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

It sounds like you guys are having such a fun trip. Seeing pictures of the Falls and Palmyra remind me of growing up and visiting those places all the time. Safe travels!!!