Linlithgow palace was hosting their yearly jousting tournament so as usual, we didnt want to miss out! We headed out a bit late but realized we would still be able to see the last tournament and tour the palace in plenty of time. It seemed like a big event, something I am sure people visit year after year. The whole idea of their jousting is to finalize a winner for the princess. Although, even in the end we never did see her :) We voted blue team...Finn was quite the fan!
After the jousting we headed in past the gates to see the palace. I'm not sure what the signifigance of the pig is, I like it though!
Mary Queen of Scots was born in this palace!
The palace was rebuilt (it originally started as a manor house and then a stonghold) in 1424 by King James after a fire destroyed most of the town as well as the building. Additions were constantly added and this place is huge!!! It is layer upon layer of rooms and dining areas and hallways and stairs! Actually, the girls and I were exploring together when I turned around and Sydney was gone. I called out, nothing. Kirra and I ran to the stairs, nothing. We searched up and down calling out in every direction. I got to the bottom of the stairs and looked across to see my Syd, tears pouring down her sweet face. She was with a "maiden" and luckily knew who to ask for help. Phew! Cuddles were next and then we all gathered around to watch the court jester magician. They also put on a play in the courtyard about King Edward which was quite funny, although I don't think they meant it to be too funny! Here are a few of the actors:
This fountain was built in 1537 but needed a renovation from erosion. About 2/3 of it had to be replaced. It's gorgeous though!
I wish I would have been able to get a better view of the whole castle but I didn't. Darn!
01 August, 2010
Linlithgow jousting
Posted by
Kacy & Adam
at
9:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment