
Palermo was the last city we traveled through and it's also the biggest (being the capital of Sicily). Palermo was everything a bustling European city should be...modern buildings built around ancient structures of history. Business men and women walking amongst the begging poor, and also being in Italy it was a bit dirty. I always enjoy the energy of a big city but I'm glad we weren't there for any more of our precious {away from kids} time. The countryside always takes my breath away and I think we spent our time wisely.
During our bus ride we noticed some markets that looked interesting. Adam spied a piece of art we went back to look for but it wasn't what we had hoped. Helen bought the cutest little wooden shoe...we are always looking for treasures!
Still diggin these cute trucks :)
One of the places I was interested in was the Capuchin Catacombs. Alas, no pictures were to be taken inside but my interests were satisfied. Its so amazing to me that these (8000 mummies) bodies are still positioned in little niches on display, some positioned in a way so the family could come on certain days and hold their hands for prayers. Fascinating! It took us a long time to find it and we didn't spend much time inside. Regardless, I'm glad we saw it!
These following pics are from our walk back to the hotel. We stopped in to see the Palermo Cathedral. It was erected in 1184 and holds the tombs of many Sicilian Kings.

The local markets:
We finally found the best Italian pizza we were looking for! We had it in our minds that Sicilian pizza would be just like Italy...it's not! But we did find this treasure and ended up eating there twice (despite Ron finding a metal piece in his! It was really that good that we went back!)
This image can be found everywhere. It represents Sicily and the 3 peninsulas. This was the same hand painted version on the cute truck:
Sicily was amazing and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to see such a beautiful country. I always love spending travel time with Adam and I love being able to experience the different areas of this amazing world. Taking the time to do these travels always makes me realize how closely connected people are in this world. With our broken Italian we had such a great time and we truly saw some fantastic sights. Love Sicily!!!!
22 December, 2010
Sicily: Palermo
Posted by
Kacy & Adam
at
6:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've loved traveling sicily with you! When does our Australian adventure begin? :)
So those little trucks you like, my neighbor has one...no wait, he has two! Check out my snowy day blog post and you'll see one in the background of one of the pictures. They are just white, so they certainly are not as cute as that fancy pantsy blue one you got a picture with. AND they're not in Sicily so they're not as cool. But tell Adam to buy one for you for your birthday and we'll take some paint and have a go at it :) I can just see it puttering up the hill to your house!!
Post a Comment