20 December, 2010

Sicily: Selinunte

After Segesta we drove down south towards the ruins of Selinunte. There lies 5 Greek temples built on an acropolis but only one temple has be re-erected. The date of these buildings is unknown but placed near 628 BC. I find it completely surreal to be walking among stones that have been carved and laid 628 years BEFORE Christ was on the earth. Truly amazing. Selinunte was a large settlement and consisted of one of the largest greek temples in the world. The rubble that remains has a lot of history to tell and one of my favorite parts was the beautiful view out to the meditteranian sea. Amazing!
This is the re-erected temple "E" also called "Hera":










I love the detail that still exists after all this time:





I found Selinunte fascinating. I think once Adam had seen the first temple and rubble it starts to look so similar! I love imagining the stories these rocks have seen and the people who lived their lives within the walls.

1 comment:

Kinny said...

WOW! I can't believe the size of those columns! Some really great pics Kacy.