09 July, 2010

Melrose Abbey and Cashmere



What a mixed up title! Adam and I wanted to visit our friend David who owns a Cashmere mill down in the Borders. We both thought it would be interesting to learn the process of how they are made and were hoping the kids found it just as much fun. I thought it was fantastic! He took us through the whole process of the goat hair they use and where it comes from, how they use it to make sweaters and scarves, milling it, pressing it, processing it, etc...I honestly didnt previously know a lot about what we learned. I was so glad we took the time to do it. I highly recommend it! I also wish I had taken more pics of all the colors. I did manage to get a photo of Finn picking the goat's nose.

Didnt want to forget that :)


We made it a day and also visited Melrose Abbey that is also down there. It's gorgeous! It was founded in 1136 by Cistercian Monks. I always think these stones would have the most amazing stories to tell! Oh the secrets!!!! They provided the walkie-talkie devices and although Finn was more interested in mine than running around, I was able to hear some of the details.
Here Finn is sitting on a grave using the walkie-talkie as a phone...ha!







This is the view from the top of the stairs where the monks would ring the bell. The gargoyles were amazing and all so different:





This is also where Robert the Bruce's heart was embalmed buried in a lead casing:

This is a {bad} view of the ceiling where 12 saints were carved. St.Paul, St.Peter, St. Andrew, St.Catherine just to name a few. The carvings in this abbey are amazing and so intricate:


Beautiful place!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I love seeing the pictures of all of the places you've been able to see. I love the pics of your girls in the flowers in the grass!

The Waite Family said...

I have completely enjoyed all of these pictures of all your fun travels, if we ever get to travel I know who to call for a travel guide. Keep more pics comming I love them.